Component Evaluation: 1 Play
Timing: 15 Minutes
Mode: In-class; Online
Select one of the plays prepared by Branwen Willow and Cat Omura and have students read the parts in a large discussion group. Then use the corresponding set of questions, which were carefully developed by these community experts, to generate discussion about the play. Online, students can listen to the audio recordings of the play prepared by Branwen Willow and Cat Omura. Use the questions below to generate class discussion about the play. Online, students can upload their contributions to a discussion board.
- Did you have trouble accepting this scenario as an account of something that actually happened?
- What might be some of the results (negative or positive) of the large scale de-institutionalization that took place in BC in the 90s and is happening in other countries currently today?
- How could the release of patients who have previously been institutionalized be better managed?
- How could families and communities be better prepared and educated?
- How do you feel about the interaction you’ve just witnessed?
- What do you think about the two people in this scenario?
- Do you think the interaction went as well as it could have? Why or why not?
- Why might the staff not be addressing all Eliza’s concerns?
- What barriers, formal or informal might be in place in this setting?
- What is the disconnection between this patient’s expectations and the care being provided?
- How could the situation be improved?
- Did you have any preconceptions when you first read that the cast had mental health issues? Did your view of the cast change during or after this scenario?
- How did you relate to their discussion?
- What barriers might be overcome when people living with mental illness partake fully in education about mental illness?
- What do you think the interests of the various members of the community might include?
- What did you think about the kind of services being talked about?
- What are your feelings about people with mental illness?
- What would your reaction be if a co-worker told you that they lived with a mental illness? What issues of trust and responsibility might you face if someone confided this to you?